Becoming a Parent After Spinal Cord Injury (1 Day)
The subject of becoming a parent after spinal cord injury can be a daunting and bewildering one, so this training course has been developed to provide information and insight to anyone contemplating this journey- dispelling some myths along the way!
Topics covered include:
- The facts about fertility & conception issues and options available
- Pre-pregnancy planning and where to go to get support and further information
- Exploring how pregnancy might impact on physical abilities and management of personal care (including bladder, bowel and blood pressure)
- Looking at possible aids available and discussing what needs to be planned or considered before delivery
- Childbirth options and how to work with the delivery team
- Aids and equipment that may help in coping with a new baby
- The emotional and physical impact of having a baby, and how to share responsibilities and ask for or accept help
- Adoption & Fostering
- Support systems- support available through individuals and organisations, possible funding or benefit streams and rights and legislation
All sessions of this course scheduled for the 2014/15 training year (which ends 31 March 2015) have now run, but please contact us if you would like to be kept up to date when the new calendar is confirmed.
Please click here to download the SIA Academy training course brochure for 2014/15