Becoming a Parent After Spinal Cord Injury Master Class (1 Day)
The subject of becoming a parent after spinal cord injury can be a daunting and bewildering one, so this Master Class has been developed to provide information and insight to anyone contemplating this journey- dispelling some myths along the way!
Topics covered include:
- The facts about fertility & conception issues and options available
- Pre-pregnancy planning and where to go to get support and further information
- Exploring how pregnancy might impact on physical abilities and management of personal care (including bladder, bowel and blood pressure)
- Looking at possible aids available and discussing what needs to be planned or considered before delivery
- Childbirth options and how to work with the delivery team
- Aids and equipment that may help in coping with a new baby
- The emotional and physical impact of having a baby, and how to share responsibilities and ask for or accept help
- Adoption & Fostering
- Support systems- support available through individuals and organisations, possible funding or benefit streams and rights and legislation
Courses scheduled up to March 2015 are:
- Sheffield SCIC 26 July 2014
- SIA House, Milton Keynes November 2014 (date TBC)
- Southport SCIC 7 February 2015
Each training day runs 10.30am to 4.00pm (approx) and is open to spinal cord injured people, their family members and carers as well as SCIC staff and other health professionals or other people working or with an interest in the field of spinal cord injury. We actively encourage family members to attend the Master Classes, and they can also do so on behalf of their SCI relative. The courses are FREE to attend for most people, although corporate delegates will be charged £100 + VAT. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
To book a place just fill in our online booking form or for more information contact Sandra White (0845 678 6633 x218)
In the event that there are an insufficient number of participants registered for any course, SIA reserves the right to cancel the course one week prior to its due date. Anyone registered for the course being cancelled will be notified and offered an alternative course date should this be available.
Please click here to download the SIA Academy course brochure for 2013/14