Difficulties Transferring out of a car seat to a wheelchair

Started by Anonymous, 25th September 2015 at 12:46 pm

Home Page Forums Living With Spinal Cord Injury Aids & Equipment Difficulties Transferring out of a car seat to a wheelchair

<span style=”font-family: proxima-nova, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1.5;”>Can anyone advise if they have been able to find ways to ease transferring out of a car seat (drivers side) to a wheelchair?</span>

<span style=”font-family: proxima-nova, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1.5;”>My difficulty is that I recently brought a new car (an audi A1) and I am finding 3 problems.  First, the distance from the edge of the car seat to the wheelchair is bigger (I think because safety regulations mean manufacturers are doing this to increase safety).  Second, and this was my mistake, the car has ‘bucket’ seats.  This is making it impossible for me to rest on the edge of the seat and transfer from there.  Finally, I suspect my new car has smoother lines to it.  This is making me feel I do not get a good grip on the side of the car to lift myself out of the car seat.</span>

I’ve tried using a transfer board and a banana board but these do not work for me.

Anyone else had a similar problem, and found a solution?

Thanks.

Ben (T 4/5)

I had the same problem with the last car I had and suffered like you as a T 4/5 getting in and out.  It seems most vehicles now have bucket seats.  I bought a foam wedge that partially solved the problem but eventually I went for a WAV with a lift in the back.  However, just this week I see in the Motability magazine an adaptation which is a transfer plate.  Check it out at http://www.motability.co.uk/adaptationsfilms.  There are a number of adaptations shown and I only wish this had been available a few years ago.  I know it’s some time since you posted this but it may still help you out.  Good luck.

The other thing that I did was have a grab handle fitted above the driver door and I used this to swing across from my wheelchair.  Good luck.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  Miss Corfu.

Ben – did you find a solution? Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.