The Ageing Well Project

Started by JoyatSIA, 22nd July 2016 at 3:35 pm

Home Page Forums Living With Spinal Cord Injury Ageing Well The Ageing Well Project

Welcome to the Ageing Well section of this forum.

I hope that over time we can generate an exchange of experiences and views and information on ageing with spinal cord injury (SCI).

This is your forum so please feel free to use it for the benefit of members and visitors alike.  There are no real age limits but if you are over 40 years old and been injured for 10 years or more, you may be experiencing some ageing issues.

I will be adding items of interest from time to time from both a UK and worldwide perspective.  I will also alert you to articles being written for forward magazine.  If there are any topics you would like me to cover in the Ageing Well section of forward, then please do let me know via this forum.

I hope you have had the opportunity to read the articles on Planning for the Future, which were included in the August, October 2015 and February 2016 editions of the magazine.

The Ageing Well section of the August 2016 edition of forward tackles the common problem of Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) in SCI.  The emphasis is on how your diet can help reduce the frequency of UTIs.

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

I look forward to ‘meeting’ you on the forum.

Best wishes
    Joy Sinclair

My shoulders were well worn by farm work before my injury in 2003. One shoulder was operated on in 2007. I was suffering with lots of pain in both shoulders a couple of years ago. With some physio and learning some useful exercises I now have less pain in the shoulders since my injury. Paul T7

Hello Paul, thank you for your post.  You have raised an issue, shoulder pain, which is very common in people ageing with paraplegia.  I’m glad to hear that with some physio and exercises, you have managed to decrease the level of pain in your shoulders.  This information should encourage other people to seek help from an appropriate therapist.

Thanks again
    Joy

Hi all. I’ve been an incomplete T9 for 8 years. Initially I could use one of my legs but over the last 2 years, since I had one of many falls, I haven’t been able to. has anyone got any experience of whether this kind of deterioration is a normal thing and if so why? Getting tests etc but I always thinks its great to go into these things with some expectations.

Hi there, I am paraplegic and in the process of completing a Chair Yoga teaching programme and will be offering some free classes in Long Ashton just outside Bristol in late October / early November. Chair Yoga is great for maintaining healthy joints, improving posture and alignment and preventing loss of flexibility in the neck and shoulders for example. Please see more info in the attachment and do get in touch if you are interested…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

I find myself remarkably cynical about the ageing disabled. As I approach my pension and my health deteriorates I become more so. They really would rather we simply went away. However, the only way to fight this is to show them we won’t, and that we need to and can play an active part in the community, even if it’s just by being seen around and not being hidden in our houses.

I am just realising that “I” am someone who is “ageing” but not very well with caude equina.  Since injury in 1990, I have had 4 ops, my 3rd resulting in me needing to use a wheelchair. For 15 years was sporty and politically active, working full and then part time, whilst raising two children as a single parent.  I may have been what could be called an ‘over achiever’ or as I prefer an ‘over stretcher’.   I had to take early retirement 5 years ago & I think, am  suffering the consequences of all my over activity.  Pain levels ridiculously high at times, constant UTIs & general exhaustion. Am undergoing tests and have learned that 2 lumbar discs are possibly causing inflammation but no definite yes or no.  I am waiting for blood tests to check inflammatory markers but also thyroid, blood count etc…  My energy levels have plummeted but I’m determined not to be needing to rest in bed or on the sofa as much as I have been over the past 18 months.  I’m thinking of adapting the Breathworks programme, created & written about by Vidyamala Burch in “Mindfulness for Health” to my own needs and slowly starting to adapt & use the NHS pilates exercises.  Need to change old habits of doing too much then being ill.  Has anyone got any suggestions of things to explore or avoid?  Oh yes, and I’m just getting to the end of being menopausal.  Apart from all that I’ve got everything going for me!

Having been a “they” as well as an “us” (at the same time) it is getting harder.  The “we” the Theresa May’s talk about are definitely NOT all in this together!  However, I agree those who can, need to be out there in our communities being part of them and needed by them.  I am finding this impossible at present due to poor health but, it doesn’t stop me putting finger to laptop, making phone calls or writing letters demanding equality for all those of us who’ve been left behind or out of the picture completely.  So however we remain or become part of our communities, we all need to remember that we have something to offer no matter how insignificant we feel that is.  For example, I had to take early retirement due to poor health.  I have a spare room and so have been having destitute asylum seekers staying with me.  It’s helped them because they have a somewhere to live that’s safe and warm and it’s helped me because I have someone who is there to help me with practical things when there is no one else around, like cooking delicious meals and putting an errant shoe back on my foot.  So no matter how decrepit I get I know there will always be something I can do to improve my life and help others into the bargain.  I think its also worth remembering that many older people aged 65+ will also experience many of the things that we’ve already had to work with and problem solve.  Yes we’ve got the double whammy of being ‘disabled’ and ‘old’ but most of us have had to fight to get this far and thus may be made of tougher stuff than those those in charge think.  So power to you my friend and trust that it really isn’t all doom and gloom.

Hi, on the whole I’m probably not doing too badly.  I’m 58 and was diagnosed 10 years ago with post traumatic syringomyelia.  This condition started, who knows when, following a motor bike accident in 1981!  The thing I’ve struggled with most is having a progressive condition.  I know it has got worse and will more so, just don’t know how quickly and to what degree?  Admittedly I get bogged down with this.  My mobility is slowly eroding.  Bowel and bladder issues increasingly frustrating.  And I’m so unremittingly tired.  I do hardly anything.  Whatever I do, I’m shattered.  I’m pretty good at the cheery facade for family and even professionals.  Feel less and less inclined.  To be fair, I’ve always been a bit of a loner.  Might even say I’m quite the misanthrope.  Although even the dog can irritate me these days.  I know, I sound like a veritable miserable so and so.  And don’t get me started on politics and religion.  😠

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.