Vaginal hormone cream

Started by Vivi, 24th December 2016 at 1:38 pm

After taking prophylactic antibiotics for a couple of years due to recurrent uti’s I have been advised by my Urology Consultsnt to stop the tablets and start applying this cream. I am worried about this as side effects include cancer  and I don’t really want to take hormone creams. I self catheterise which apparently is the cause. Anyone in the same boat?

Yes exactly.  I have had to take early retirement due to illness caused by repeated UTIs + a bit more. UTIs caused by catheterisation & not using ISC etc.

My story

I have intermittently and jointly used ISC, crede movement, had a supra pubic catheter fitted 18 months+ ago and taken it out 1 year later due to infections.  So I have tried everything and nothing stopped the UTIs including methanamine, prophylactic antibiotics,  antibiotics every UTI & the obvious high dose cranberry tablets, kombucha, kefir & anything to provide ‘healthy bacteria’ everywhere.

4 months ago was given vagifem vaginal pessaries to use intermittently 2 weeks on & then at a low does for 4 weeks and then not again until I felt I needed them e.g. for a recurrence of UTIs.  Tried vagifem whilst using ISC and crede movement + vagifem and got a UTI.  However, this was my first go and it was early on in the trial of the pessaries use.  I’ve done 1 and a half lots of vagifem treatment & so far haven’t reached a conclusion.  I add that I had a hysterectomy in ’97 & am 55, so am either through or in the middle of the menopause now.  You don’t say how old you are & that could have a bearing on the choice you make.

Conclusion

From what I have read it is being widely prescribed.  It’s hefty evidence backs up it’s effectiveness in helping UTI prevention.  In studies it’s also shown negligible side effects including any increases in cancer risk and certainly not breast cancer.  Personally I have chosen to go with it for the time being but will keep monitoring my situation e.g. UTI frequency/absence.  I don’t have any hereditary cancer risks as far as I know.  However, I am not a medical person so please don’t take my word for it please listen to what the experts in such matters say, think about your own story and read from reputable resources on line like BMJ and the NHS & NICE web sites as well as others in other countries.

Let me know how you get on and what you conclude but don’t be so risk averse that you don’t at least try something which may just help.  UTIs are a complete misery & I’ve wasted more of my time suffering with them than anything else so, I’m just experimenting and carrying out my own research on me.

Yes exactly.  I have had to take early retirement due to illness caused by repeated UTIs + a bit more. UTIs caused by catheterisation & not using ISC etc.

My story

I have intermittently and jointly used ISC, crede movement, had a supra pubic catheter fitted 18 months+ ago and taken it out 1 year later due to infections.  So I have tried everything and nothing stopped the UTIs including methanamine, prophylactic antibiotics,  antibiotics every UTI & the obvious high dose cranberry tablets, kombucha, kefir & anything to provide ‘healthy bacteria’ everywhere.

4 months ago was given vagifem vaginal hormonal pessaries to use intermittently 2 weeks on & then at a low does for 4 weeks and then not again until I felt I needed them e.g. for a recurrence of UTIs.  Tried vagifem whilst using ISC and crede movement + vagifem and got a UTI.  However, this was my first go and it was early on in the trial of the pessaries use.  I’ve done 1 and a half lots of vagifem treatment & so far haven’t reached a conclusion.  I add that I had a hysterectomy in ’97 & am 55, so am either through or in the middle of the menopause now.

You say you’ve been prescribed cream (not gel)? and haven’t said where you are applying it – arm, leg etc, how often, dose, type etc.  Each of these factors may have an effect on risks not just related to cancer.  You don’t say how old you are nor whether there are specific illnesses including cancer in your family & that could have a bearing on the choice you make.

Conclusion

From what I have read it is being widely prescribed.  It’s hefty evidence backs up it’s effectiveness in helping UTI prevention.  In studies it’s also shown negligible side effects including any increases in cancer risk and certainly not breast cancer.  Personally I have chosen to go with it for the time being but will keep monitoring my situation e.g. UTI frequency/absence.  I don’t have any hereditary cancer risks as far as I know.  However, I am not a medical person so please don’t take my word for it.  Listen to what the experts in such matters say, think about your own story and read from reputable resources on line like BMJ and the NHS & NICE web sites as well as others in other countries if you wish.

Let me know how you get on and what you conclude but don’t be so risk averse that you don’t at least try something which may just help.  UTIs are a complete misery & I’ve wasted more of my time suffering with them than anything else so, I’m just experimenting and carrying out my own research on me.  It’s a risky world and sometimes they pay off.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.