Funding your care

Funding your care

There’s a lot to think about when you have a spinal cord injury. But with the right care in place, you don’t need to worry as much about how you will cope with everyday tasks.

This will give you time and energy to focus on the things you enjoy that are important to you. From spending more time with friends, to doing your favourite hobby.

To get a care package in place, you need to apply for funding.

Applying for funding

There are two main sources of funding for the care you will need:

  1. NHS Continuing Healthcare. This is paid to your care provider through your local clinical commissioning group (CCG). Your CCG decides how NHS services are delivered in your local area. This funding isn’t based on how much money you have, so you won’t have to pay towards the cost of your care package.
  1. Social services through your local authority. This funding is based on how much money you have, which means you’ll have to contribute to your care if you have savings or assets above £23,000.

Whether your care is funded by the NHS or your local authority, they have a legal duty to meet your needs.

Completing a care assessment

You need to carry out a care assessment to find out who is responsible for your care. This splits your care needs into either:

  • ‘health care’ needs, tasks that help you manage your injury, such as bowel management
  • ‘social care’ needs, like supporting you to get out to meet other people.

If most of your care needs are ‘health’, you’ll get funding through NHS Continuing Healthcare. If they are ‘social’, you will get funding from your local authority. 

The assessment process is time-consuming and complex. If you want to apply for funding for your care, get in touch with our advocacy team who can support you with your application. 

Think about your care needs

It can be difficult to come to terms with needing care and natural to focus on what you can do, rather than what you can’t. But when you complete a care assessment, you need to write down all the tasks you need help with. This includes everything from getting out of bed in the morning to managing incontinence.

Many healthcare professionals don’t have experience of working with people with spinal cord injuries. So, you need to provide as much information as possible to help them understand what support you need.

Using our online learning tool

It is harder to qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare funding. You need to thoroughly prepare for your care assessment. Have a look at our online tool which provides more information about eligibility and the application process.

Download a template care assessment


Need support?

Whether you’re newly injured, or your spinal cord injury happened years ago, we can help you to successfully apply for funding. Call our support line on 0800 980 0501 to speak to our advocacy team.