NHS Continuing Healthcare

“SIA was absolutely amazing. They wrote fantastic letters for me to use, provided all the appropriate fact sheets and documentation to support our case, and supported us through the full process.”  SIA member

NHS Continuing Healthcare can help you live independently at home, or in a residential care setting, by supporting the ongoing treatment and control of your spinal cord injury. It is funded by the NHS, who can organise your care for you or you can choose to receive the funding direct (via a Personal Health Budget) and organise it yourself.

Mandy Jamieson     CHC Case Worker

To be eligible for this type funding you need to be over 18 years old and have been assessed as having a ‘primary health need’. You will be assessed for your eligibility by a Multi-Disciplinary Team made up of two or more qualified professionals from a clinical or social care background. Not all the healthcare professionals involved in this process will have prior knowledge of spinal cord injury, so preparing for the assessment and providing detailed answers is essential.

Simon Pinnell     Advocacy Manager

SIA has produced an online learning tool for our members which provides information about NHS Continuing Healthcare including the differences between health and social care, eligibility and the application process.

More information about the tool is available here.  Our NHS Continuing Healthcare Advice Service can also help SIA members prepare for an assessment or a review of current NHS Continuing Healthcare funding and help challenge any decisions that you are not happy with.  Contact them by email or call on 01908 604191